Friday, December 10, 2010

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Cousins Graham are huge fans of C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, and basically all tellers of the one great story. For the younger of the Cousins, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader holds a special place in her heart. It's the book she reads over and over again. It's one of the few books that can absolutely wreck her into millions of different pieces. Thankfully, Lewis helps the reader give those pieces to the Author who fashions them good from the chaos. AE, the younger of the Cousins, prompted by the question "Which Lewis character are you?" wrote the following:

The books nears with a command: "Come and have breakfast." Lucy sensing the end to Narnia is near begs the great Lion with urgency for it is Narnia where she meets him. It is Narnia where she learned to follow. It is Narnia where Aslan's breath strengthens her every resolve. But is is in Narnia she cannot stay.

I've been Lucy, I am Lucy; learning to love the great lion in a place that despite original intent, isn't too easy to feel His call, His roar, His breath. Looking back, looking through the places and spaces of my journey where I haven't seen Him is to look back and realize He has brought me here in order to teach me to love Him there. To love Him in the places that are hard and scary. But mare than that, to love Him where it is loud and where His name is different in calling but mighty in strength. 

How sweet it is, despite my tantrums, my faults, my questions that convey doubt more than faith, He calls me still to the table, feeds my soul, and opens the door to the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment